Thursday, June 6, 2013

Why Rest is Good for your Running

If you've been following my blog the past few days, you'll know that I am trying to crawl my way back into a running lifestyle. So far, so good.

I'm slowly but surely getting my legs back by doing easy runs the past week that I'm planning to do for a month. This is my way of building my endurance base before getting into some serious training or significantly extending the duration of my runs.

However, with all the excitement that comes with running, I'm a bit guilty of having the tendency to push myself hard and run more often than my body can handle at this stage. With that, I would like to emphasize the importance of rest in our running journey, most especially for newbies like me.




Why rest?

Rest should be an integral part of our running routine or training. Injuries often occur when we over train or push ourselves too much. Thinking long term, having enough rest will also enhance our performance. It is while in rest that our bodies recover and rebuilds the muscles and also adapt to the increase of activity.

A good practice is to make sure we don't do consecutive days of hard runs. We can either do easy runs, cross train or skip any activity at all after a day's hard run to allow our bodies to rest. In keeping our momentum, it's better to limit our rest days to a maximum of two consecutive days. As much as possible, we don't want to have no running or exercise for more than two days.

Currently, I'm balancing my week so that I will be able to log miles but at the same time, have some ample days off as well. So when you miss a running day or two, don't be discouraged. Just simply treat those rest days as part of your training, no worries.





Any questions or more tips about the importance of Rest in Running? Drop me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment