Thursday, June 13, 2013

Newbie Guide to Basic Running Gears

It's been three weeks since I jumped start my running journey and still a couple of weeks more from starting some serious training. I'm happy with the way I was able to follow my running plan and I could say that I'm slowly getting the running habit.

My short term goal for now is to go out and run at least three times a week. I usually run early in the morning near our place to make sure that I get to run before I become busy with work and have excuses not to do it. It's just a blessing that this sport we love can be done almost anywhere and anytime!

Although it's true that running is so easy to do, we still have to invest something to get the best out of it though.




I always tell my friends that one of the cheapest sports is running. Yes, because as long as you have a good pair of shoes you can run almost anywhere. But if we really want to maximize our running and prevent injuries, we should at least spend on the most basic running gears.

Running Shoes

Running shoes is the most important gear of a runner. This is our best investment in running. Lots of injuries come from running with the wrong shoes (tennis shoes, sneakers, etc.) making it's so critical to know the appropriate type of shoes specifically for our running.

The best way is to visit the nearest running specialty store and get our feet assessed. They will be more than glad to assist us in finding the perfect running shoes that we need.

Running Clothes

Proper running clothes depend heavily on the weather. But the simplest rule is to avoid cotton shirts, shorts and even socks simply because they tend to absorb our sweat and gets heavier as we run. Choose clothes with moisture wicking fabrics which will make us feel more dry and comfortable while running. To save money, buy running apparels at the end of the season when stores usually put the old season’s line on sale.

Optional Gears

Aside from the two gears mentioned above, I think everything else is optional. Sunglasses and other head gears can help when the sun hinders our view when running by daylight. Running watches helps in improving and monitoring our performances. Hydration belts will come in handy on long running days. The more we advance on our running journey, the more we will appreciate some of these gears.

Good thing in running, the most expensive gears doesn't always mean it’s the best gear for us. It's best to wear running gears we are comfortable in. Everyone perform their best when they feel comfortable. Please keep that in mind.







I’m sure I wasn't able to cover everything we need to know about running gears so if you have something else in mind, please feel free to drop me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment